JOHN E. SPAHN, CDR, USN
John Spahn '24
Date of birth: January 10, 1901
Date of death: August 1, 1970
From the 1924 Lucky Bag:
John is listed in the Register of Alumni as a LCDR who died of some unspecified cause on July 18, 1944. He is listed in Memorial Hall as a CDR, USN, between two classmates implying a death between March and July 1944.
None of that information is correct, though: he died in 1970 in Ohio, a former naval officer who was dismissed from the service sometime in 1943 or 1944. In October 1944 — already described as "dismissed" — he was sued for divorce on the grounds of "excessive cruelty." In 1948 he was sentenced to a year in prison for passing counterfeit checks.
He is not included in the Shipmate list of alumni who died of any cause during the war years (September 1946 issue).
The February 1947 issue of Shipmate reports that his class ring had been found in a taxi in Baltimore, Maryland.
From My Heritage:
- John Edward Spahn, 1901 - 1970
- John Edward Spahn was born on month day 1901, at birth place, Pennsylvania, to William Henry Spahn and Emma S. Huoncker.
- John had 4 siblings: Henry W Spahn and 3 other siblings.
- John married Helen Margaret Johnson on month day 1927, at age 26 at marriage place, Rhode Island.
- They had one daughter: Katherine Anne Spahn.
- John lived in 1910, at address, Pennsylvania.
- John passed away on month day 1970, at age 69 at death place, Ohio.
- He was buried on month day 1970, at burial place, Ohio.
Year of birth lines up, as does place of birth and marriage information. He is buried in Ohio.