From USNA Virtual Memorial Hall

Scott Ketchie '69

Date of birth: August 19, 1949

Date of death: April 9, 1972

Age: 22

Lucky Bag

From the 1969 Lucky Bag:


1969 Ketchie 1.jpg

From Virtual Wall:

During the early evening of 09 Apr 1972 a VMA(AW)-224 A-6A (BuNo 155652) flown by Major Clyde D. Smith and 1stLt Scott D. Ketchie was flying a road interdiction mission in southern Laos just west of the DMZ. As Smith was prosecuting a truck convoy near Ban Bamran his Intruder was hit by AAA fire. Smith ejected from the aircraft at about 12,000 feet and was clearly visible in the fading sunlight as he parachuted to the jungle below.

By this stage of the war, the NVA troops on the ground knew just what to expect - a massive search-and-rescue effort by the Americans - and they knew also how to make the most of the opportunity to shoot down some of the SAR aircraft. The NVA established a perimeter around the area where Smith landed in order to use him as bait in a flak trap.

Although an Air Force HH-53 was in the area, there were no escorts on hand and therefore no immediate attempt could be made to rescue Smith before sundown. However, a combination of enemy anti-air activity and bad weather conspired against Smith, who was forced to evade capture for the next four days. On the 13, a well-planned and coordinated pick-up attempt was initiated, with Naval aircraft from two carriers providing strike and AAA supression while an Air Force HH-53C from the 40th ARRS swooped in and picked Smith up while under fire.

Although Major Smith survived, and went on to command two Marine squadrons at MCAS Cherry Point before retiring in 1979, there was no sign of 1stLt Ketchie. He had not been seen to eject from the stricken Intruder and there had been no radio contact with him during the four days of the SAR effort. Even though there was no evidence that he had survived the initial shootdown, 1stLt Ketchie was carried as Missing in Action until the Secretary of the Navy approved a Presumptive Finding of Death on 05 March 1979. His remains have not been repatriated.


1969 Ketchie 2.jpg


Scott and I were the youngest officers serving with VMA(AW)-224 Det C (Bengals) as a part of Carrier Air Wing 15 assigned to the USS Coral Sea, CVA 43. We were both (Grumman) A6 Intruder Bombardier/Navigators serving in the United States Marine Corps and our squadron was attached to a Navy unit.

Scott was a 1969 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy who accepted a commission in the Marine Corps. He was a 1965 graduate from a high school in Ensley, AL (Birmingham). He married his H.S. sweetheart, Patty Wade in 1969. As we live in a "small world", I attended college with Patty at Samford University (outside Birmingham, AL). After 7 years in a "MIA" status there was an administrative "presumptive finding of death" for Scott. He or his actual fate remains unknown to this day. I believe a memorial "obituary" did appear in a Birmingham newspaper.

I grew up in Birmingham, and knew Scott and his family quite well. My mother, Mildred Landers, was a very close friend to his mom and grandmother, Connie Smith. It has been many years since we last saw them, but I still think of them with fondness. I wore Scott's MIA bracelet for several years. Our thanks to Scott for his courage and service to our country. DIANNE LANDERS FUQUA, DIANNEFUQUA@COX.NET, 2/26/04

From Virtual Wall:

My name is Tom Hens. I went through NFO flight school with Scott at NAS Pensacola and I believe we were together later at MCAS Cherry Point before he left for WestPac.

I came across your website today. Scott was a good man and I became friends with the triumvirate of friends from Alabama, Scott, Ron Gilbert (an RF-4C NFO) and Bob Jacobs (an F-4J RIO who was killed in an accident at the NATO base in Sigonella, Italy). It is still hard to believe that many friends of my service days are gone. I always hoped Scott would be found. Thomas R. Hens,, 26 May 2007

Class of 1969

Scott is one of 17 members of the Class of 1969 on Virtual Memorial Hall.