JOHN S. DALTON, LCDR, USN
John Dalton '38
Date of birth: June 24, 1915
Date of death: July 18, 1943
From the 1938 Lucky Bag:
John was lost when his F4F-4 Wildcat fighter was shot down on July 18, 1943 while escorting land-based bombers over the Russell Islands in the Solomon Island chain. He was flying with Fighting Squadron (VF) 28, possibly from USS Sangamon (CVE 26). (Note: One site lists him as flying from USS Independence (CVL 22); that ship departed San Francisco on July 14 and therefore could not have been John's ship.)
His mother was listed as next of kin.
From naval aviation historian Richard Leonard via email on February 9, 2018:
- Date of rank LTJG from 1 Jul 1941 USN Register, 6/2/1941
- NAS Pensacola attached for HTA flight training, 7/24/1941
- NAS Pensacola designated NA # 9987, 12/3/1941
- Date of rank from 1 Jul 1942 USN Register, 6/15/1942
- Date of rank from 1 Jul 1943 USN Register, 6/15/1942
- VF-28 USS Chenango (CVE-28) AM MIA BNR, 7/18/1943
VF-28 was assigned aboard USS Chenango in July and August 1943, though often rotated ashore. VF-26 was aboard USS Suwannee in this same time period (from USN Aircraft Location reports).
Memorial Hall Error
John was promoted to LCDR on July 1, 1943 (to date from June 15, 1942). Memorial Hall has LT.