MANUEL T. DIOQUINO, CDR, PN
Manuel Dioquino '53
Date of birth: January 3, 1931
Date of death: November 18, 1964
From the 1953 Lucky Bag:
Joe died in a Philippine Navy airplane accident in the Province of Batangas, Luzon Island, Philippines on November 18, 1964.
Family and Career
His eldest daughter emailed on June 20, 2019:
He graduated from the Philippine Air Force Flying School (1956) and was the first Naval Pilot of the Philippine Navy.
He also graduated from the US Naval Postgraduate School, Monterrey, CA, USA (1963).
Manuel married Paz Corazon Canave on April 6, 1958.
His widow is still alive and lives in Manila.
Manuel and Corazon have 5 children:
1.0 Coralie Therese MD (born 1959)
University of the Philippines - College of Medicine, Associate Dean for Academic Development at the College of Medicine
Married to Andrew Dimacali MD
Children: Miguel Angelo, Raphael Angelo
2.0 Manuel Jose (born 1960, died 2015)
Married to Lora Liza Sicat Dioquino
Children: Alyssa Liyana, Gabriela Lara, Luisa Corazon
3.0 John Gregory (born 1961)
Married to Marne Amelia Arboleda Dioquino
Children: Jonathan Emmanuel, Jacob Elijah, Joseph Emilio
4.0 Carissa Paz MD (born 1963)
MPH, Harvard University
Neurologist and Toxicologist
National Poison Control Center
Married to Victor Maligaso
5.0 Cecile Philomene (born 1964)
Married to Francis Hidalgo
Children: Noelle Dominique
Found a post in the Philippines Defense Forces Forum that references him as "the prime mover of PN Aviation.”
Joe is referenced several times over the years in Shipmate magazine:
- September 1975: A member of the "lost squadron" — the Class of 1953, at the least, did not realize he had died years before.
- April 1987: Two of Joe's children, John and Coralie, attended a party for the Army-Navy game at the Army and Navy Club of Manila.
- January-February 1993: The 1953 National Championship medal (pistol) had never been given to the members of the team. Joe was one of those; the alumni who had his medal was trying to find his children to give it to them.
- January-February 1996: John was again in attendance at the Army-Navy game showing in Manila.
- March 1997: Coralie ("Cora") and Manuel Jr. attended the Army-Navy game showing in Manila.