From USNA Virtual Memorial Hall

Raymond Tacke '52

Date of birth: September 22, 1928

Date of death: March 8, 1969

Age: 40

Lucky Bag

From the 1952 Lucky Bag:


Pat was lost when his C-130E crashed short of the runway at Ching Chuan Kang Air Base (RCMQ), Taiwan, on March 8, 1969. Though three other crewmen survived the crash, they all died in subsequent days. Pat is buried in Idaho.


1952 Tacke 1.jpg

From Wall of Faces:

My Dad, Raymond Tacke was called "Pat" by his family and friends. Pat was born to Elvin "Jack" and Merline and he was second in line of children; Mark, Tom, Mary Jo, John "Jack," and Bill. They grew up in a rural, agricultural area in north-central Idaho. Pat graduated from Cottonwood High School, attended Gonzaga University, Spokane, Wa. and then received an appointment to the US Naval Academy. After graduation in 1952, Tacke opted to join the Air Force and entered the USAF as a Second Lieutenant.

Pat's first position was as a flight engineer for Strategic Air Command. His professional career included being a member of the first B-57B squadron, working with the B-47 jet bomber, TDY duty, being a part of the Minuteman Missile Program, receiving his master's Degree in Aerospace Engineering, and working as an engineer at the Rocket Propulsion Lab at Edwards AFB, CA.

My Dad married my mother, Rita M. Hoene on July 24, 1954. They had three daughters; Kathryn, Christine, and Elizabeth. Personally, my father was a very committed person. He was a devoted Roman Catholic and attended daily Mass as frequently as he could. Daily rosaries were a part his routine. Dad was ahead of his time. Personal fitness was very important to him. He had a regular regime of running, swimming, and calisthenics. He rode his bike wherever he could get away with it. He enjoyed hiking, skiing, golfing and being in the outdoors. Family camping trips were common. My father considered himself to be "wanderlust" and he enjoyed traveling and experiencing new places. He spent time reading about the areas he visited.

Dad also liked to keep abreast of current events. The Time magazine was a weekly read. He loved his country and felt that he needed to volunteer time in Vietnam. So, that's what he did. He was stationed in Taiwan, beginning July 1968. His assignment was as a navigator on a C-130 and his crew flew "sorties" in Vietnam. My father was very much impressed with the beauty of Vietnam. In the almost daily letters that he sent home to our family, he frequently commented on the country. A particularly favorite place was Cam Ranh Bay. Dad also had great sympathy for the Vietnamese people. In many of his letters, Dad described what he saw and how it impacted him. Our family was notified of my fathers death, about 24 hours after he was killed. It is a night that has been etched in my memory. He left a wife of 36 years and daughters at ages 13, 11, and 7. There is hardly a day that goes by that I do not recall my father. I have found that my relationship to him has grown, even after his death. In 1995, I completed a memoir of my father. It helped me to come to turns with my personal feelings of loss. For anyone visiting this site, please feel free to contact me. I welcome any snatches of memories that you have of my father Raymond "Pat" Tacke.

Sunday, October 17, 1999 CHRISTINE FREI, 10/25/01


Pat was one of 110 late additions to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C.


Pat is among those names on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. As his loss was not due directly to hostile action, though, he does not appear in the VIetnam War section of the Killed In Action panel in Memorial Hall.

Related Articles

John O'Grady '52, Robert Allison '52, Frederic Davis '52, Charles Andrews, III '52, and John Ellison '52 were also on the track team.

John O'Grady '52 was also on the cross country team.

Class of 1952

Raymond is one of 48 members of the Class of 1952 in Memorial Hall.