JOHN J. CRANE, CDR, USN
John Crane '26
Date of birth: January 13, 1904
Date of death: January 21, 1943
From the 1926 Lucky Bag:
John was lost on January 21, 1943, when the aircraft he was aboard crashed near Ukiah, California while enroute from Pearl Harbor to San Francisco. The flying boat, a Pan Am Clipper, was being operated by Pan Am employees but was a contracted Navy flight, and all ten passengers were Navy officers.
From Fleet Organization:
- Duty Bureau of Engineering/Bureau of Ships 1 Jan 1939 - 1 Jul 1940
- Duty cfo Tuna 1 Nov 1940
- Captain USS Tuna (SS-203) 2 Jan 1941 - 7 Dec 1941
- Staff Submarine Squadron Eight Mar 1942
- Engineering & Maintenance Officer COMSUBPAC Aug 1942 - Jan 1943
- Lieutenant 30 Jun 1936
- Lieutenant Commander 1 Jul 1940
Robert English '11, Donald Godwin '11, Robert Smith '20, Francis Black '26, William Myers '26, John Coll '27, and George Stone '31 were also lost in the crash of Pan Am Flight 1104. Eight of the ten passengers were Naval Academy graduates.